CMRCI AND THE AUSTRALIAN MEN’S SHED ASSOCIATION
In 2020 CMRCI had an informal chat with a representative of the Australian Men’s Shed Association (AMSA) to find out whether there was any benefit in our club becoming a member of the Association. At that time, opinion was divided, and no further action was taken.
Early in 2021 it became apparent that there is a long-term threat to our tenancy of the premises at UCHS Kaleen due to the rapid growth of the school student population. Your Committee is well aware of the issue and is already exploring options. One early strategic decision was to join AMSA.
AMSA is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health to provide practical support and a wide range of services to Men’s Sheds, for example:
• Access to support from professional staff (Membership Management, Insurance, Community Engagement, Shed Development, Health and Special Projects).
• Advice, support and information via their 1300 550 009 support line, direct contact with staff or the online enquiry form; and
• An Interactive ‘How to Set up and Run Men’s Shed’ manual (available online).
AMSA prioritises the wellbeing of all men valuing the role that Men’s Sheds play in the prevention of social isolation by providing a safe, friendly and welcoming place for men to work on meaningful projects and to contribute to the wider community. It will endeavour to always address the needs of Men’s Sheds and to source further funding and resources for the direct benefit of sheds.
AMSA administers the National Shed Development Program (NSDP) Shed Grants. The NSDP allows Men’s Sheds to apply for grants to fund:
• help with health promotion activities.
• purchase equipment; and maintain their buildings.
There are two grants rounds annually worth $500,000 each – up to a maximum of $10,000 per grant.
AMSA also administers:
• offers of materials and other goods and services that are offered to AMSA; and
• support and special programs in partnership with their men’s health and corporate partners.
Some of our members are already members of other Men’s Sheds in Canberra and know the value of the Association.
CMRCI applied for membership of AMSA in January this year and membership was granted immediately. Membership of AMSA has not cost us anything but offers us the advantages noted here and, perhaps, an opportunity to apply for assistance in locating or building a new home.
For further information see http://www.mensshed.org
Other Men’s Sheds in the Canberra Region:
This page was last updated on 26 Feb 2021